Monday, January 5, 2009

A new year and new objectives

This is my first post of the new year so it is time to kick out some resolutions. There are a few but I think they are very attainable. We will see what happens.
1. To be at 200NL by the end of the year so if I decide to play full time again it will be at a level where I can make a good living.
2. Read and practice the concepts in my zen books.
3. Get a job that will allow me to enjoy my life to the fullest, something not in retail.
4. Be more consistent in my Kung-Fu and work more on it out side of class to become more well rounded.
5. Be more conscious of my eating habits and make them more healthy. I tend to eat a lot more than I need to. I need to eat less and space it out.
6. Go back to school
7. Pay off all of my old debts
8. Get a new vehicle.

It is a decent list I know but I have it written down and on my fridge so I have to see it every day and it will be a constant reminder. Updates to come.

My poker this year has gotten off to a good start, I can see how the zen is making my mind more calm and it is helping with my emotional control. I have made a little less than 3 buy ins in 3 sessions, so off to a much better start. The plan is to play ~25k hand for the month. Even if I go on a heater I will play the entire month at 25nl then evaluating if I should move up or not.

50NL has a lot of nitty regs and table selection becomes more of a factor, I have heard that 50NL is harder than 100NL. I want to make sure that I am playing well enough for that level that it is the best decision. Just because your rolled for a level does not mean you should be playing that level.

I have been reading my Zen book and this is the first real in depth zen book I have read. The others were primers and not really in depth, this one is very much the opposite and came highly recommended on Amazon.com and when I told Sifu that I was reading it he said that it was a good read as well. It is The Three Pillars of Zen by Phillip Kapleau. The beginning was very dry it was talking more about history and the differences in the styles and so on. I am now getting into the practice of Zazen, or meditation and it is similar to what we do in Kung fu. Today was my first session of actually meditating and it is actually very hard to do, it will take a lot of practice.

That is really it for now, I am going to work on posting more.

Until later.

No comments: