Thursday, January 10, 2008

Good news and Bad news

Well traditionally you give the bad news first and who am I to break tradition. My heads up tournament is over. I was eliminated in the first round by a guy who was really very lucky. I played OK, but didn't run great. I picked up AA a few times and he open folded. I won the first match and lost the second. In the tie breaker I had him on the ropes, I 3 bet with 44 and he shoved and I call and he has AQ. Of course an Ace hits the flop but no big deal. Then I have a flush and open ended straight draw and we have all the money in and miss. Then i pick up AK and he has AJ, I shove over his raise and he snap calls. Flops a flush draw and hits it on the turn.

The guy really wasn't overly great, he was pretty passive for the most part. He allowed me to see a lot of flops for pretty cheap. I am OK with my play, I got it in on the final hand as a 67% favorite. He was a bit of a calling station, he called 3 shells with bottom pair on more than one occasion. No big deal though you have to get lucky in a tournament and I didn't, shit happens.

The GREAT news is that I am testing this month. I have been working pretty hard lately and I am really glad that Sifu says that I am ready to test. This next level has a lot of really good stuff in it, arm breaking drill, corner drill, and chi sao progressions. The test is on the 19th of this month, Matt will be in town and will be able to make it which is cool. My friends Kevin and Chad are going to come spectate to see what all the hype is about, I am pretty excited about that as well. I am determined to be a little bit more prepared for this test than I was on my last test, so I am going to hook up with Jim and work on some stuff.

We have been working on a little ground work in class. Escaping from headlocks on the ground is all that we have covered so far but its so sick. I really enjoy the ground fighting things that we do and I cant wait to do a lot more of it. It is a great work out and really tires my ass out. On Monday after class I did some touch hands with Bobby. He studies Tai Chi and has been for a long time and is very good. This was my first real experience doing anything with someone outside of Wing Chun and he wore my ass out. It is so different from Wing Chun that I was basically at a loss through out the entire session. I will say that by doing as much of that as possible my Kung-Fu will get much much better, so I will try to do it as much as possible.

Poker is still there but have been taking it easy here lately. I am up for the month but not really making any progress. At some point I will redeposit probably to take advantage of the bonus and make a real go of it. I want to get my laptop before I do any of that though.

Well that is it really. I will update soon.
Until later.

No comments: