Thursday, January 24, 2008

Awesome show last night.

Last night I went to the Foo Fighters concert at the AAC. Melissa and her Mom are really big fans along with the rest of her family and the told me that I should go. I liked them but didn't really consider myself a fan, but agreed to go. I am very glad I did. It was probably the most entertaining show that I have ever seen. The music was good and it was very energetic. We had really good seats not on the floor but just off of it. I have seen a lot of 311 concerts and while their music might be a little more energetic this show is much more entertaining. Dave Grohl was cracking jokes and whipping the crowd up. I will definitely go again and now consider myself a fan.

The opening bands were OK, I suppose. The first was called Against Me which is a punk style band. I am not a big fan of punk but this seemed more like The Cult to me. It wasn't bad but wasn't great. I might give some of their stuff another listen because it was hard to make out the vocals. The other band was Jimmy Eat World. I have a CD of theirs on my IPOD and thought that I would enjoy them. They were OK, I am kind of indifferent about them. They sounded exactly like they did on the CD which is a good thing. I hate bands that over edit their sound. It was just kind of boring though I guess.

AAC is where the Dallas Stars play so obviously the arena is in the shape of a hockey ring. About halfway through the show a mini stage dropped down and the Foo Fighters went down and played a few acoustic songs on the other end. It was very impressive. I remember in high school when they came out I was not overly into them, I was really missing out. This was one of the best shows I have ever been to, definitely the most entertaining.

OK lets talk about the test. I tested for up to 3rd level blue on Saturday and I really don't think I did a very good job. I am not sure what it was I felt prepared but I guess just nerves. I took Kevin and his girlfriend Lisa and Chad to the test so they can see what I have been talking about for the past 2 years. Sifu does a really good job of explaining exactly what you are seeing at the tests, which is a big deal because Wing Chun can look like patty cake if you don't know what your looking at. My spectators really enjoyed the test and that is really good, they were slightly impressed I think.

After my test Tai Chi Bobby took his test for his first red. This is a really big deal for a number of reasons so we stayed to watch that. Tai Chi before this month never had any testing, you just learned what Sifu told you to. Just recently he has started to build a curriculum for this style and wanted to start having tests for it. Most people think of Tai Chi and think of old people in the park they don't think of it as a fighting art. Sifu teaches it as a combat art and the difference is night and day. Sifu spent a lot of time explaining to us what we were seeing because a lot of people had no idea.

The other reason why it is a big deal is because at the red sash level you are a senior student. You can teach other people on your own with Sifu's blessing. It is also a big deal because the test you take at first red is the last test you will take publicly, after that all the tests are close door with Sifu and students your level or higher. So its a pretty huge deal.

Bobby, this comes to no surprise if you have met him, did amazing. He was taking on multiple attackers and throwing people and it was really really amazing. On part of his test Sifu worked with him because no one else in Tai Chi is able to, that was really cool to watch. Tai Chi is so completely different from Wing Chun, its night and day. Congrats to Bobby for a great test.

Since I tested I am getting to work on some new material. We have been working a lot of the ground fighting. Wing Chun is not a ground/grappling art but because of the popularity of Ultimate Fighting a lot of people are studying that kind of stuff, its important to know how to fight that way as well. I am really enjoying the ground fighting we are learning some really good stuff. Eventually it will be able to be done as one fluid piece but right now we are breaking it down section by section. The sensitivity training that we work on really helps with the ground fighting. I can feel where someone is planning to go its really crazy.

This is turning out to be a huge post I will start to wrap it up. I played some poker yesterday before the show. I played less than 1,000 hands and made 8 buy ins. Hopefully its the beginning of a long time coming much needed heater. It would be very nice to actually get out of my break even stretch that I have been stuck in for quite some time. I will play a little bit more once I get home.

That is really it for now.
Until later.

No comments: